is archive


How to Change, Remove, or Report a Representative Payee

This publication is for adult SSA beneficiaries and explains how a beneficiary can ask SSA to change or remove a representative payee and how a beneficiary can report a representative payee for misuse of funds.

External Links

Washington State Bar Association (WSBA)

The Washington State Bar Association (WSBA) website contains links to a variety of resources, such as the Washington State Courts, and legal pamphlets on such topics as Consulting a Lawyer, and Alternatives to Court.

Washington State Bar Association: Client Protection Fund

The Lawyers’ Fund for Client Protection Board is established by the Washington State Bar Association and the Washington Supreme Court. Its purpose is to make gifts to persons in compensation in those rare cases where clients suffer a direct financial loss caused by the dishonest conduct of a lawyer in connection with the practice of law.

Washington State Bar Association: County Bar Associations

The Washington State Bar Association (WSBA) website provides a listing of county Bar Associations in Washington, some of which provide referrals to lawyers in those counties.

Handbook for Washington Seniors

This Legal Voice publication is a comprehensive quick-reference guide on a wide range of legal issues affecting Washington seniors, including health care, finances, housing, elder abuse, and discrimination.

Northwest Justice Project, CLEAR Hotline

CLEAR is the statewide intake line for free and low-cost civil legal aid in Washington. Individuals with low incomes and legal issues may receive legal resources, information, and referrals to legal services providers in their geographic area. In King County, individuals may access these services by calling 2-1-1. Otherwise, individuals may reach CLEAR by calling 1 (888) 201-1014 or use the online intake form on the website. Seniors (people age 60 and over) can access intake by calling CLEAR*Sr at 1 (888) 387-7111. Veterans may dial 1 (855) 657-8387.

Washington LawHelp

Washington LawHelp is the online legal information source maintained by Northwest Justice Project, Washington’s legal aid program for low income persons.

Washington State Department of Social and Health Services

Washington State Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) provides a variety of medical and mental health, insurance, and crisis services. DSHS also runs the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program, which provides temporary cash and medical help for families in need.

Washington Connection

The State of Washington provides the Washington Connection website, where a person may apply for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) and other benefits online.

Washington State Department of Financial Institutions

The Washington State Department of Financial Institutions regulates financial services to protect and educate the public and promote economic vitality. Visit their website for information about home ownership, refinancing and foreclosure.

Social Security Administration: Representative Payees

Find answers to questions for people with a Representative Payee at this Social Security Administration (SSA) page.

Social Security Administration: Find Your Local Office

Find a local Social Security Administration (SSA) office at this page of the SSA website.

Social Security Administration: Apply for SSI

Apply for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) at this page of the Social Security Administration (SSA) website.

Social Security Administration: Apply for SSDI

Apply for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits at this page of the Social Security Administration (SSA) website.

Washington State Attorney General

The Washington State Attorney General’s website provides information on car purchasing, car repair, car lemon laws, charities, collections and repossessions, credit and identity theft. A consumer complaint is also available online.

Washington Home Ownership Resource Center

The mission of the Washington Home Ownership Resource Center is to “increase and preserve homeownership for low- and moderate-income individuals and families.” They provide information about homeownership assistance programs, lenders, real estate professionals, predatory lending, and avoiding foreclosure.

I Have Disabilities and I Want to Work: Benefits Advisors

This Northwest Justice Project (NJP) publication may be helpful for individuals with Social Security disability-based benefits, Medicare, SSI-related Medicaid or long-term-care services, or other disability-based benefits AND who want to work.

Energy and Utility Assistance

City of Seattle residents can visit this page to learn about the Utility Discount Program, which helps those eligible get current and stay current on utility payments by offering discounts on light and utility bills.

Washington State Attorney General: File a Complaint

Washington State Attorney General accepts and investigates consumer complaints.


BenefitsCheckUp is a free service of the National Council on Aging (NCOA). It asks a series of questions to help identify benefits that could save money and cover everyday expenses.

Credit Counseling

Credit Counseling agencies educate people about personal finances. The US Department of Justice provides a list of approved Washington credit counseling services.

Washington State ABLE

The Washington State ABLE Savings Plan website contains information about how people with disabilities can save for their future without losing government benefits.