Disability Rights Washington is seeking a Bookkeeper/Development Assistant to work in either our Seattle or Spokane office.
People with disabilities, African American, Black, Indigenous, and people of color, and those from other oppressed groups and all protected classes are strongly encouraged to apply. All employees are expected to participate in DRW’s race equity work. Disability Rights Washington looks forward to reviewing all applicants, including applicants who have concerns about how accepting this job could affect their eligibility for Medicaid or other programs.
The Bookkeeper and Development Assistant will work closely with the Director of Strategic Partnerships and Fiscal Manager to meet DRW’s fiscal accountability and fundraising goals. Accordingly, the Bookkeeper and Development Assistant will be a part of two key components of the operations department of DRW – the fiscal team and development team.
As a member of the fiscal team, the Bookkeeper and Development Assistant will work with the Controller, Fiscal Manager and Executive Director with responsibility for learning and executing all of the accounting job functions listed below taking a lead role for some and a backup role for others.
As a member of the development team the Bookkeeper and Development Assistant will work with the Director of Strategic Partnerships, Communications Coordinator, and DRW’s volunteer Development Committee to execute DRW’s fundraising plan and activities.
Time working on these two areas of responsibility will be roughly evenly divided but there will be periods where one of the areas of responsibility may take precedence over the other such as annual audit preparation for the fiscal team and DRW annual fundraising event (Breaking Barriers) for the development team. If a candidate based in Spokane is selected, there will be travel to Seattle required, especially before and during events.
Bookkeeper (Accounting) Job Functions:
Includes assisting with the following job functions as assigned by Fiscal Manager:
- Preparation of standard and customized fiscal and timekeeping reports;
- Revenue tracking recordkeeping;
- Bank and credit card reconciliations;
- Accounts payable functions;
- Audit preparation duties;
- Grant financial reporting;
- Federal and state funding reports;
- Labor distribution reporting and related cost allocation functions;
- Calendaring fiscal deadlines; and
- Assist with budget preparation; and
- Internal and quality control duties
- Donation recordkeeping and reconciliations (shared function between fiscal and development departments)
Development Assistant Job Functions:
Includes assisting with the following functions as assigned by the Director of Strategic Programs:
- Donor correspondence and acknowledgement
- Planning, logistical support, and other duties as assigned for fundraising events
- Development Committee support
- Database maintenance for individual, foundation and corporate relationships
- Production of fundraising reports and other reports from other giving platforms
- Conducting preliminary research on prospective corporate, foundation and individual donors.
- Coordinating productions and mailing of appeals.
- Prepare materials for distribution. (i.e. design postcards, sponsor descriptions, program and invite; manage order and dissemination)
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Strategic Partnerships.
- Self-motivated, focused, positive attitude, flexible, and proactive
- Ability to collaborate and work well with people from various backgrounds and identities including people with disabilities, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, adults, youth, people with varied educational and lived experiences.
- Ability to identify creative solutions for problems that arise
- Ability to multitask in fast paced environment
- Ability to develop, organize, and implement office procedures and systems
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to initiate and complete projects with minimal supervision
- Exceptional attention to details
- Excellent organizational, communication, composition, and prioritizing skills
- Advanced computer skills in Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Zoom, Adobe Creative Suite, and preferred experience with giving platforms, and donor management systems
- Ability to present information and data concisely and effectively, verbally and in writing
Education and/or experience:
- 2 years of development or accounting/bookkeeper experience
- Data entry/analysis experience
- Experience regularly working with people with disabilities or other marginalized populations
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Continual exposure to new tasks
- Multiple projects and timeframes occur at once
- Standard work week 35 hours may be evenly split between bookkeeping and development duties – significant time constraints that create the need for a flexible schedule during certain time periods.
- Work will be remote to start due to modified office practices resulting from COVID – will move to in-person at a future date.
Salary and Benefits:
A successful applicant with less than one year of relevant experience will make $50,332. A successful candidate with five years relevant experience will make $56,320.
DRW offers a generous benefits package including a 35-hour work week, employer paid Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance, Long Term Disability and Life Insurance, Health and Dependent Care Spending Accounts, 401k with 5% employer contribution, Paid Parental Leave, Paid Holiday, Vacation, and Sick leave, Employee Assistance Program, Costco Membership, transit benefit, and more!
Disability Rights Washington is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Disability Rights Washington encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including individuals from all race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status backgrounds.
Disability Rights Washington is a private nonprofit organization that advocates for the rights of people with disabilities across Washington. We are designated by the governor as the independent federally-mandated protection and advocacy system for Washington State. As such, Disability Rights Washington promotes, expands, and protects the human and civil rights of people with disabilities. For information about us, please visit http://www.disabilityrightswa.org/
Please fill out the online application below. Requirements are a cover letter, resume, and three professional reference contacts to verify employment. You may also mail your application to: Disability Rights Washington, 315 Fifth Avenue South, Suite 850, Seattle, WA 98104 Attn: Jodi Rose. Reasonable accommodations for any portion of the application or interview process are available by request. You may email accommodation requests to Jodi Rose or call 206.324.1521. We would like to fill this position as soon as possible. Submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis and will be accepted until the position is filled. Priority will be given to submissions received by July 15, 2022.
- Position Title: Bookkeeper & Development Assistant
- Reports to: DRW’s Director of Strategic Partnerships
- Company Name: Disability Rights Washington
- Location: Based out of our Seattle or Spokane Office
- Posted: June 24, 2022
- Education and Experience required: Administrative support experience, bookkeeping, communications, development, data entry/analysis
- Job Category: Program / Support