Disability Rights Washington provides free services to people with disabilities.
We are a private non-profit organization that protects the rights of people with disabilities statewide. Our mission is to advance the dignity, equality, and self-determination of people with disabilities. We pursue justice on matters related to human and legal rights.
Contact us for:
- disability rights information;
- technical assistance for disability issues;
- general information about legal rights;
- strategies about how to become a stronger self-advocate;
- information sheets on a wide range of subjects to empower individuals with disabilities to better advocate for themselves;
- community education and training; and
- legal services for disability rights violations.
The following video describes Disability Rights Washington. It gives examples of what we do, where we started, and how we serve those with disabilities in Washington state.
We focus our legal resources on systemic cases which will improve service systems for people with disabilities.
We exist because society and service systems are not always fair or responsive to people with disabilities. We work for change in policies, laws, and systems that promote:
- freedom from abuse and neglect;
- legal rights;
- adequately funded, appropriate supports and services; and
- communities that involve everyone.
Disability Rights Washington is governed by a Board of Directors, with help from our Advisory Councils. These groups are made up of people with disabilities, family members, and others who have an interest in disability rights.
For information about Disability Rights Washington’s non-profit status, view Disability Rights Washington’s IRS Form 990. Go to GuideStar.org and view Disability Rights Washington’s page. This information is also available in our office.
Disability Rights Washington is a member organization of the National Disability Rights Network and serves as the designated Protection and Advocacy agency for Washington state.
The following video explains what the Protection and Advocacy System is:
A substantial portion of the Disability Rights Washington budget is federally funded.
DRW 2018 Fact Sheets