Seeking Rooted in Rights Program Director
People with disabilities, people of color, and those from other marginalized or oppressed groups and all protected classes are strongly encouraged to apply. Disability Rights Washington (DRW) looks forward to reviewing all applicants.
Rooted in Rights Program Director Sought
Rooted in Rights is a program of Disability Rights Washington (DRW) that produces creative, accessible stories that empower our audience to advocate for disability rights. Through our award-winning original videos, blogs and social media campaigns, Rooted in Rights advocates on issues locally, nationally and internationally. Rooted in Rights also provides internal creative services to other DRW programs, as well as trainings and creative production for clients in the disability advocacy field. We distribute our content through social media, our website, and live events across the country.
We are now seeking a passionate advocate for human rights to take on the role of Rooted in Rights Program Director (PD). The PD has a deep understanding of disability issues and a passion for advancing the rights of people with disabilities, including those who experience multiple marginalizations.
The PD leads our team of communicators, filmmakers, writers and designers, with the goal of achieving real world impact. The PD understands storytelling across digital mediums, and its power to inform, persuade, and activate audience members. The PD is a strong leader and project manager, who can shepherd complex projects while working collaboratively with staff, contractors, partners, clients and other DRW programs.
The PD will:
- project manage all campaigns, including establishing campaign topics, goals and deliverables; plan and manage program budget;
- supervise Rooted in Rights staff, contractors, interns and volunteers in Seattle office and remote workers;
- liaise with other DRW programs;
- promote Creative Services and ensure delivery of completed projects to clients;
- provide mentorship and create professional development opportunities for staff;
- create and manage Fellowship programs; attend conferences, screenings and other events as a representative of the Rooted in Rights program;
- stay informed on current disability rights related issues;
- manage development activities for the program including foundation and corporate outreach, online giving and crowdfunding;
- ensure integrity of brand identity; write or create content as necessary; and
- approve all content produced by Rooted in Rights including videos, web, social, and digital; and travel as necessary.
The PD will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Disability Studies, Media Production or related subject required;
- strong leadership and project management skills, with 3-5 years experience managing teams;
- proven record of successfully managing teams consisting of people with diverse skillsets and backgrounds;
- experience managing creative staff and ability to provide constructive feedback to guide content production to achieve campaign goals;
- proven record of advocacy for human rights broadly, and/or disability rights specifically;
- intermediate to advanced knowledge of digital communications, social media content strategy and video advocacy;
- experience working with partner organizations, including leadership within coalitions;
- firm grasp of political process on state and national level; and
- media production background a plus, but not required.
Equal Opportunity Employer
DRW values diversity of culture, disability and other life experiences, and is an equal opportunity employer by choice. We do not discriminate on the basis of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, religion, race, color, citizenship, veteran status, or disability. We endorse and support the intent of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities who are applicants or employees who need accommodations.
DRW is a private nonprofit organization that advocates for the rights of people with disabilities across Washington. We are designated by the governor as the independent federally-mandated protection and advocacy system for Washington State. As such, DRW promotes, expands, and protects the human and civil rights of people with disabilities. For information about us, please visit: http://www.disabilityrightswa.org/.
The Program Director reports to the Executive Director. This position is full time in our office in downtown Seattle. Moving expense stipend available. Excellent benefits including full medical and dental coverage, paid sick leave, vacation and personal day, and transit pass. Salary depending on experience.
Applicants should provide:
- A cover letter.
- A current resume.
- A link or links to an online portfolio, online campaign, or other related advocacy project materials that demonstrate the ability to meet the requirements and responsibilities above.
- Three professional references.
Materials can be sent to the attention of Jordan Melograna at DRW, 315 Fifth Avenue South, Suite 850, Seattle, WA 98104 or at firstname.lastname@example.org Submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Submissions will be accepted until the position is filled. All applications received by May 4, 2018 will be considered.